Chicken and Mushroom Risotto (serves 2)
By Bowers Butchers, Sep 23 2015 08:48AM
This classic, rustic dish made with Bowers' free-range chicken is simple, yet an absolute delight!
100g chestnut mushrooms, diced
1 litre of chicken stock
250g of diced chicken breast
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 stick celery, finely chopped
1 tsp of freshly chopped thyme
175g risotto rice
Half a lemon
125ml dry white wine
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
50g parmesan cheese, grated, plus extra for garnish
6 leaves of fresh basil, finely chopped, plus a little extra for garnish
1. Heat a little oil in a pan over a medium heat. Fry the mushrooms, seasoning with salt and pepper. Cook until they are softened and start to colour. Set to one side.
2. In the same pan add the chicken and cook for about 4-5 minutes, remove from the pan and set to one side.
3. In another pan gently heat a little more olive oil. Add the onions, garlic and celery and sweat it off. This will take around 10 minutes (do not colour). When the vegetables soften and become translucent, add the risotto rice and turn up the heat.
4. The rice will start to fry, it is important at this stage to keep stirring. After a minute add the wine and a squeeze of lemon juice, continuing to stir.
5. When the wine has been absorbed into the rice, start to add your stock a ladle at a time. Turn down the heat to a simmer and stir the risotto to release the starch; the risotto will start to become creamy. One the stock has been absorbed add another ladleful and repeat. The risotto should take about 15 to 20 minutes. The rice should be soft, but with a slight bite. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If you run out of stock before the rice is cooked, top up with some boiling water.
6. Add the mushrooms, and chicken and heat through.
7. Remove from the heatt and add the butter, parmesan and basil. Mix together, cover and allow to rest for a couple of minutes. Place in a serving dish, top with a little more grated parmesan and a sprig of basil to garnish and eat immediately.